Lara was one of 91 Ways’ 180 guests who came to our launch back in June.
Lara Light is Brand manager for the Bart Ingredients Company. In Lara’s family, mealtimes have always been the key to family quality time. She recalls, “We always ate at the dinner table and had proper family time. The only time we were allowed to eat off our laps was on a Saturday night so my brother and I could watch Gladiators!” Spaghetti Bolognese and Crispy Corn Tuna were firm family favourites.
Travelling has expanded Lara’s taste buds and she now has a passion for Thai and Middle Eastern foods, “I love the flavours, aromas and creativity of the cuisine”. Lara and her husband make use of their cooking time by having a glass of wine and a good chat about their day.
“Thanks to my mum and Delia Smith, I can make a classic Victoria sponge off the top of my head!”
Lara’s victoria sponge:
6 oz plain flour
6 oz butter
6 oz sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl, holding the sieve high up to get as much air in as possible
2. Add in all other ingredients and mix together with an electric hand whisk for about 1 minute until you have a smooth consistency and the mixture drops off a spoon when tapped on the edge of the mixing bowl.
3. Divide the mixture into two greased and lined baking tins
4. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 25 minutes or until a knife placed in the middle comes out clean.
5. Remove from the baking tins and leave to cool on a wire rack.
6. When cool place the two sponges together and fill with jam and butter cream if you like your cake a little sweeter
7. Dust the top with icing sugar